EPANET-Z – add online maps and satellite images to EPANET

EPANet-Z (in free beta) from Zonum Solutions is a modified recompiled version of EPANet that adds the option to insert map and satellite images to the network’s backdrop. The program uses online services like Yahoo maps and Google maps to extract the images. From Zonum’s web site:

The use of a backdrop file brought new capabilities to EPANET. However, how do I create this file? how big this image can be? Is it already georeferenced? How about using an aerial photo or satellite image as a background?

What would you say, if you were told that you could access satellite images for the whole World and use them as a backdrop for EPANET, just by clicking a button?… I would say EPANET-Z.

EPANET 2.00.12 (3/5/08) was modified and re-compiled to display Online Maps/imagery as a background. EPANET-Z = EPANET + Online Maps (Yahoo Maps, Google Maps, Virtual Earth)

epanetz4

I have entered a small part of my neighborhood network to the program. Unfortunately the satellite image in my region is of poor quality (click the image to enlarge):

epanet-z-haifa-1

EPANet-Z at Zonum Solutions

Update 20/08/2010: for some reason the download link at Zonum Solutions for EPANet-z is broken. You can download it from here.

Posted in EPANET related Tagged with: , , ,
24 comments on “EPANET-Z – add online maps and satellite images to EPANET
  1. K.Ramesh Kumar says:

This is a great facility that is incorporated . One more request is printing capabilities of the EPAnet has to be oncreased as it allows only the things that are viewable on screen only. So why not we can export the output file to AutoCAD like softwares for proper presentation.

2. javad says:

i want program

3. rajeshwar rao says:

i want to use the programme epanet z

4. JEFRY TOMBENG says:

please give me this program

5. Francis says:

I am impressed with the capabilities. How can I get the software?

6. Hello

I’m still a novice on EPANET but I got a problem on the projection system. I wish spend EPANET to EPANET Z without problem. But this is not the case ! Under EPANET, the projection system is the Lambert 2 and under EPANET Z need WGS84. I try to transfer the file .net in .shp with epa2GIS, then to re-project, but it created 5 files .shp. I canג€™t perform the opposite operation shp2epa. Have you any idea?

Thank you in advance!

7. JEFRY TOMBENG says:

SEND SEND ME THIS PROGRAM PLS

8. roopali says:

I want to download the EPANETMSX for modelling chlorine decay an reduction of TTHM with scheduling and location of booster chlorinaion for DWDS. How to download EPANETMSX

9. Will Furnass says:

Anyone else having problems downloading EPANET Z? There seems to be a problem with the ‘Download Program’ on EPANET Z page of the Zonums site and so attempts to access ‘http://www.zonums.com/software/softdown/softdown_down.php?id=EPANETZ’ result in a ‘Missing ID’ error message.

10. Yann says:

Hello, I have the same problem as Will, does anyone have a solution to download it?

11. Bastian says:

I have the same problem. Is there another source to download tpanet z?

12. Bastian says:

Thank you, download is working now.

13. Sijbrand says:

It seems that something went wrong again, sadly, the “missing-id” is back… Is epanet-z still downloadable somewhere else?

14. nadir says:

I want to please you if EPANET z.

15. ntombi says:

Hi, where can I download Epanet-Z, i get missing ID when I try to download

16. crann says:

This is awesome for EPANET.

17. Finn Harald Eliassen says:

Hello
    I live in Os, Norway, and have used EPANET for many years modelling and analycing the municipal drinking water distribution system of Os. I was pleased to find this blog about epanet-z, as it seems to be alive in des. 2012. May be I can use epanet-z to improve the backdrops of our epanet model.

Downloading and installing was OK via the updatetd links on this blog.

The challenge is to make internet backdrops work with a metric system. Our epanet model is already designed with metric coordinates in this system: http://georepository.com/crs_3044/ETRS89-TM32.html

Primarily I would like to keep the coordinates of the model and adapt the backdrop. Then changes in the model can still be done without converting anything.
    Another option (less good) can be to convert the model to the coordinates of the backdrop system. Anyway it has to be in metric system.

I tried to change to metric system in the epanet-z, but the backdrop disappeared imediately.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I guess it would be helpful to all users in Europe.

Yours
    Finn Harald Eliassen
    Bsc.

18. Nuno Dias says:

Hello,
    I used this sofware a few times.
    What I have done is change my original metric coordinates in Portuguese Datum to latitude and longitude. You also need to change the units of the coordinates to Degrees.
    I hope this comment is useful.
    Regards,
    Nuno Dias

19. danford says:

how do i transfer node elevations from autocad 3D to epanet without entering the elevations manually (one by one). can epanet pick the elevations automatically

20. Igor D. says:

Great stuff!!!

Thank you for this and for all tools inside toolbox…