Since Microsoft rolled out Windows Vista the help files viewer was not included in the standard installation and user had to install the Windows Help program separately. This fix worked fine up to Windows 8.1. Earlier this year Windows 10 was introduced but Microsoft failed to supply a fix to this issue. Although EPANET can be easily installed and run on Windows 10, when trying to access it’s help file the users are directed to the error page on Microsoft website but no fix is available there.
However there is a workaround which is based on a fix made for Windows 7.
Please note that you use this script at your own risk. The script is provided “as is” without any warranty of any kind. The author disclaims any and all liability regarding any use of the script.
- Download the fix zip file (176,279 bytes) and place it’s content in a temporary directory.
- Right-click on the Install.cmd file and select “Run as administrator“. A black script screen should open.
- Click any key when prompt (twice).
- Once the script ends and it’s window closes, navigate to the installation directory of EPANET. Locate the EPANET2.HLP file, right-click it and select “Properties“. On the bottom right side of the properties tab, make sure the “Unblock” box is ticked. Click OK to exit. Do the same to the TUTORIAL.HLP file.
- You are done and now can open the EPANET’s help file.
If you face any problem please report it in the comments below.